Monday 22 January 2018

Sewing Accessories...the big rip off!

Well my call for help with fabric fell on deaf ears! I did have someone kindly contact me but their suggestion did not produce the goods....however in the spirit of make do and mend  I have made progress but will keep that for next time.

I was prompted to write this post, because for some time now I have been looking for a Teflon foot for my sewing machine. Now I have a Husqvarna Platinum 950E ( about 14 years old ) and a Huskystar C20. I bought the latter from the knitting, stitching and hobby craft show at the NEC, to save me keep taking the embroidery unit off the 950E.




Don't get me wrong I love both machines. The 950E when used just as a sewing machine is a dream, and the embroidery unit has been a real pleasure to learn on and use.  The Huskystar is very portable has a good range of stitches, and for a pretty basic machine has done me well for some time.
However my biggest gripe is that all the lovely machine feet I have bought for the 950E do not fit the Huskystar and vice verse. 
I even bought a load of Husquvarna machine feet in a sale when our local studio closed and none of them fit the  Huskystar. Now I know someone out there is going to tell me that Huskystar are not actually produced by Husqvarna but by Janome, but either way they are sold and demonstrated by Husquvarna reps at every sewing show I visit, so for my money they still come under the husqvarna banner.
 Now when the average price of one foot for the 950E is anything from £6.99 to £59.99, having to buy a second lot for your 'spare' machine is no joke!
Read on line about the various sewing machine feet and you will find plenty of information relating to a long or short shank. what you don't usually find is the information, and this relates in particular to my Huskystar, is that the bar on some feet that your 

Introducing Austin sewing machines...... Amazing service,  amazing products and currently my hero! At an average price of around £4 per foot I have now equipped myself with a roller foot, a Teflon foot, a narrow zipper foot, an invisible zipper foot, a double gathering foot, an edge stitch in the ditch foot and a 1/4 inch foot. In the blurb it states that all of these feet will fit several machines including the  Husqvarna husky series... And guess what they do!! I am in seventh heaven, as anyone who does any amount of sewing knows that although we can get round things, life is so much easier if you have the correct tool ( for that read foot ) to do the job.



So well done Austin, you have finally saved me from regretting my second husqvarna purchase and I am enjoying sewing all over again.

And while we're  talking about the items that make sewing your own clothes easier and therefore to me more enjoyable, I must mention my latest purchase from Lidl no less. Never thought I would have any need for a table top ironing board, but I have to say this has been a little gem. Hung on the back of the door when not needed and so quick and easy to set up when all you want to do is press darts etc. Saves all the hassle of getting out the main ironing board and whats more takes up so little space.
At just £4.99 it was money well spent!


So this happy bunny is now off to tackle the last steps in her latest project, and take some pictures.

Back soon
TTFN
Jenny xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi thanks for stopping by, but even better say hello. I love to read your comments and its also a way for me to meet you. I do read every coment but don't always have the time to find your email or web, so do pop back if you have asked a question as I will answer it here.xx