Saturday 27 September 2014

How good it feels to bottom it!

As I use my sewing room almost every day I expect it to be a bit dusty. I use loads of fleece and knitted fabrics and cutting them out alone seems to cover every surface with a fine layer of fibres. I hadn't realised however until the other day when in the words of my mother I bottomed it just how mucky it really was! (This was apparently a well known phrase about 50 years ago in Yorkshire, but not used so much now! Although why it was a favourite of my mother a Kentish girl, I have no idea.)
Oh the shame! There was enough fluff to almost fill a cushion., so once I started there was no going back.
It did have its plus points finding as I did one or two things I had 'lost'.... Rolls of ribbon, small scissors and several reels of thread to name a few.
And now its neat and shiny again, for a few days at least and it really feels good.


I've rearranged and thinned out some of my vintage toys and sewing ephemera.




Hung some new bunting (remember the five sided hexagons I crocheted!) They look lovely now linked together and not such a stupid mistake anymore.


Organised my ribbons and trims and bought a couple more really useful boxes to tidy up my fabric overflow.


However I seem to be, rather worryingly, getting a bit obsessed with deep cleaning at the moment.  I'm glad (in more ways than one) that I am well past child bearing age as this sudden urge to tidy my nest might have other connotations. Last week it was the cooker this week the sewing room, whatever next?
I can see I may need to take up yet another hobby before I actually begin to plan Housework!!

Right off now to embroider a baby blanket before I start cutting out and making a mess again.

Hope you have a good week
TTFN
Jenny xx

5 comments:

  1. Isn't it great when everything is neat and tidy for a bit. Sadly it doesn't last long here. Where in Kent is your mum from? I was born in Kent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It all looks very smart! It never ceases to amaze me how much fibre there is in my studio, even when I haven't worked in there since the last time I cleaned it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very pretty bunting, looks a treat, we say `given it a good do`....what a `do` is I`m not too sure ! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the sunshine
    of your words, today! It's
    raining here in Minnesota
    and I should be cleaning, too,
    but instead I'm bopping around
    in Blog Land!

    The older I get, the more I'm
    drawn to simple, easy, organized
    and clean! LOL must be catching....

    Happy Thursday,
    xo Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bunting looks good.
    A good sort out is great for the mind too as well as making things look neat and tidy!
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete

Hi thanks for stopping by, but even better say hello. I love to read your comments and its also a way for me to meet you. I do read every coment but don't always have the time to find your email or web, so do pop back if you have asked a question as I will answer it here.xx